Open Burning Permits
January 15 through May 1
- Applications for Open Burning Permits are now available on-line.
- Residents may apply in person at the Upton Fire EMS Headquarters seven days a week between 7 AM and 5 PM.
- The seasonal cost of a burning permit is $10.00.
- To apply for an Open Burning Permit on-line, read the following instructions and click on the above link to get going.
- Click on the Apply for Open Burning Permit link to access the Upton Fire EMS Open Burning Permit site.
- Click on the "Register Now" text box.
- Register by entering your name, address, telephone numbers and email address. Enter a user name and password.
- Click on "Submit to Register" text box and apply for your permit.
- Select payment mode as "Pay Online". Click "Pay Now". You will be taken to UniPay Gold which is UniBank's payment center.
- The Town of Upton has 2 options for online payments:
- Using your checking account number will incur a $0.35 convenience fee.
- Using your debit/credit card will incur a $1.16 convenience fee.
- Print a copy of your permit which has the rules and regulations for Open Burning.You will receive an email that your permit has been received, processed and approved. PLEASE SAVE THIS EMAIL.
- On the days you wish to burn, Click on the "Apply On Line for Open Burning Permit" and Log In.
- Click on "Check Burn Permit Status".
- If Open Burning is not allowed because of high winds, dry conditions, Red Flag Warnings or DEP advisories, the Burn Permit Status page will state that Open Burning is not allowed. Click "ACTIVATE" to turn on your permit.
- You can “Activate" your permit any time after 9 A.M. and before 1 P.M.
- Open air burning is allowed from 10:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. All fires must be out by 4:00 P.M.
- Once a permit is issued you will be entitled to burn brush only. No brush can exceed three inches (3”) in diameter. Burning of leaves, stumps, grass, logs exceeding the three inch (3”) diameter, hay and building materials is prohibited by Open Burning Regs 310 CMR 7.00.
- If you do not have access to email call the Fire EMS Headquarters at 508-529-3421 between 9 A.M. and 1 P.M. to activate your permit. Permits cannot be issued before 9 A.M. A staff member on duty will “Activate” your permit. Please have your permit information ready.
- If you call Headquarters to activate your permit you must speak to a staff member who will tell you if burning is allowed. Leaving a message will not activate your permit.
- Next January you will receive an email asking if you want to apply for a new Open Burning Permit.
- Permits issued in prior years are not valid. A new permit must be obtained each year.
- Permits may be revoked for violations of rules and regulations.
- DO NOT CALL the police department dispatcher for information regarding burning permits.
- For additional information on Open Air Burning watch Local Cable Channel 191.
- Call 911 to report any out of control fires.