Transportation Map & Fees for Council on Aging (COA) Van
Upton Council On Aging Bus Rules and Regulations
The Upton Council on Aging is pleased to offer bus service for seniors (60 years and older) and disabled Upton residents. Please note that if you are under 60 and disabled, a doctor's note is required to confirm your disability. Please have all of the necessary information available when you call to book your ride.
- A Shuttle Service to and from the Upton Community Center is available Monday through Thursday 8:45 am-9 am, noon-1 pm, 3 pm. Friday hours are 8:45 am-9 am and noon
- Bus service for medical appointments or errands is available Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00 pm-3:00 pm
- Rides requested outside these times should call the Center for information on alternative transportation.
- All transportation requests must be submitted at least 48 hours in advance, not including weekends and/or holidays.
- Senior Center staff will call you the day before to inform you of your pickup window.
- The bus is equipped with a wheelchair lift. For safety reasons all wheelchairs must have foot rests.
- Individuals who use scooters must be able to transport (on their own) to a seat. Under no circumstances will an individual be allowed to remain on their scooter while the bus is in transit.
- Bus service is curb to curb only. All riders must be able to get to the bus on their own. Those individuals who are unable to walk without assistance, or those with special needs, must bring a companion rider.
- Riders must be seated at all times and must wear seatbelts. Seatbelts must remain buckled until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Riders cannot change seats while the bus is in motion.
- There is no smoking, eating, or drinking on the bus. All items carried on must be securely stowed.
- There is a limit of two bags per rider. Large item purchases are not permitted.
- Please be ready to board the bus at your scheduled pick-up time. The bus may be busy at times and all individuals need to arrive at their appointments on time. Please note that if you are delayed for your pick up time, there is a possibility you will miss your ride.
- Please note that this is bus service and not an individual taxi; thus there may be some waiting involved while we try to accommodate everyone's needs. It might be a good idea to bring a magazine or book to pass the time if needed.
- Personal conduct must be acceptable at all times. No yelling, swearing, etc.
- Hygiene must be acceptable to not offend the driver or other riders.
- If you need to cancel your ride, please call the Center at 508-529-4558 as soon as possible.
- Frequent "no shows" or behavioral issues may result in suspension of ridership privileges.
- The Director has the authority to revoke ridership privileges if behavior is not appropriate.
- The Upton Community Center Shuttle is free of charge. The cost for rides to medical appointments and errands depends on the trip destination. Tickets are available at the Senior Center. Bus tickets must be purchased in advance. Bus Tickets are available individually in increments of $1 and $2. You can purchase in groups of five at a discount of $9 and 10 tickets for $18. The bus driver will not accept money or make change.
We are very excited to offer this service. It is our goal to keep all seniors and disabled individuals independent and mobile! Please take advantage of this great service!