Click here for Trash & Recycling Guidelines

How do I register for trash service?
Residents may register for service by contacting the Board of Health office at  (508) 529-6813 or by sending an email with their name, address and telephone number.  Once registered, residents will receive a barrel for their trash. 

Is there a fee to register?
No, there is no fee to obtain the curbside service, but residents must purchase the town of Upton trash bags at a cost of $17.00 for a roll of 10  thirty gallon trash bags or $10.00 for a roll of 15 gallon trash bags.  

Where can I purchase the Upton trash bags?
Trash bags can be purchased at Honey Farms, Country Club Sooper, Liquor Plus, Gasco, and the Board of Health office.  Please note - Honey Farms and Country Club Sooper only sell the large 30 gallon bags. Liquor Plus,Gasco and the BOH office sell both sizes.   

Do I need to separate my recyclables still?
It is no longer necessary to separate your recyclables, all acceptable items can be commingled together into one container.  

My recyclying container is broken, how do I get a replacement?
All residents received a recycling bin to start you out with several years ago through a grant we received from DEP.  Unfortunately, the grant funds have been depleted, and we can no longer offer any more bins.  However, it is not necessary to use only the town of Upton recycling bins.  Residents can use their own containers such as a cardboard box, a laundry basket, small barrel, plastic tub, etc. The BOH office also has free stickers that read "recycling" that you can put on your recycling container.  

What if my trash or recyclables do not get picked up on my pick up day?  
Notify the Board of Health office by telephone at 508-529-6813, as soon as you are aware you were missed.  If it was the mistake of the hauler, they will come back as soon as possible to pick up a missed stop.  Be advised that it is the responsibility of the homeowner to have the trash and recycling at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. and to use the required town of Upton trash bags.  

How do I dispose of large items?
To dispose of an item too large for the trash bag, residents must first purchase a "bulk sticker". These stickers can be obtained from the BOH office Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Tuesday 9:00 6:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, or by mail at: BOH, 1 Main Street, Box 3, Upton, MA 01568.  There is a fee for each item, ranging from $5.00 to $50.00 (see curbside rules and regulations).  Once you have the sticker, you place it on the item and put the item at the curb on the following Wednesday. Stickers must be purchased by 3:30 Tuesday, of the week you wish the item to be picked up.  Residents may also wait for our hazardous waste day,held once a year.