The Upton Commission on Disability was created at the November 14, 2017 Town Meeting under the provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 40, Section 8J to promote the inclusion and integration of persons with disabilities in the activities and services and employment opportunities in the community.
Role of the Commission:
- To advise and assist municipal officials in ensuring compliance with federal and state disability laws.
- Review policies and activities of municipal departments and boards as they affect persons with disabilities.
- Provide information, referral, advocacy, and technical assistance to individuals, businesses, and organizations in all matters pertaining to disability.
- Insure Municipal services, programs, programs, meetings and employment opportunities are available and accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Insure businesses, agencies, and organizations are accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Encourage Mobility.
- Be a resource: provide information and referrals on a broad range of disability issues.
- Advocate for the rights of individuals with disabilities and disability groups.
- Educate the public about disability issues.