The following rules and regulations will apply for the 2013 Open Burning Season.
1. Written burning permits are issued Sunday through Saturday by the fire personnel on duty at the Fire & EMS Headquarters.
2. Written permits must be obtained in person at the Fire & EMS Headquarters prior to any burning. The seasonal cost of a burning permit is $10.00
3. Permits issued in prior years are not valid. A new permit must be obtained in person each year.
4. You will be issued one burning permit number that will be valid for the season. This permit will remain in effect for the season. Permits may be revoked for violations of rules and regulations.
5. Open air burning is allowed from 10:00A.M. until 4:00P.M. each day.
6. Once a permit is issued you will be entitled to burn brush only. No brush can exceed three inches (3”) in diameter. The burning of leaves, stumps, grass, logs exceeding the three inch (3”) diameter, hay and building materials is prohibited by Open Burning Regulations 310 CMR 7.00.
7. Each day that you wish to burn you must call Fire EMS Headquarters at 508-529- 3421 and give your permit number and address. At that time you will be informed if burning is being allowed that particular day. Burning is allowed at the discretion of the Fire Chief, or in his absence his designee. You may call after 9:00 AM to request to burn. Permits will not be issued before that time. PLEASE DO NOT CALL the police department dispatcher for information regarding burning permits, as they will not be issuing any permits.Should your fire become out of control you should call 911 immediately.
8. When you call to request to burn you must speak to a Firefighter who will tell you if burning is allowed. Please do not leave a message on the answering machine.
9. For additional information on Open Air Burning tune to Local Cable Channel 11.
Chief Aaron Goodale
Forest Fire Warden