Water & Sewer Connection Requirements
- The connection fee is $4,000 per connection or unit. It is the responsibility of the owner to connect the new water service from the water main at the street to the house. The owner shall maintain the water service pipe from the curb box to the house.
- This fee does not cover any unforeseen situations such as excavating of ledge or if police detail is required. Additional costs such as these will be the responsibility of the owner/developer and the Department of Public Works (DPW) will notify the owner/developer if situations such as these are encountered.
- For all subdivisions or any other development where owner/developer is required to complete all work (connection from main to house) the fee is $4,000 per connection.
- When using PVC water services from the curb box to the house, the owner/developer shall install copper tracing wire from curb box to inside of cellar valve. Copper piping is required from the main to the curb box.
- Water meters for residential connections will be provided by and be installed by the Town in an accessible location provided by the owner/developer. It is the property owner's responsibility to maintain access to the meter at all times.
- Access to the water meter must be provided by the owner to DPW personnel upon prior notice from the DPW.
- Water Connection Application (PDF)
- 2nd Water Connection Requirements (PDF)
- 2nd Water Connection Application (PDF)
The connection fee is $8,000 per connection or unit.
The following conditions apply for both water and sewer:
- The Permit for this location is nontransferable.
- Permit expires within one year of issue. The fee is not returnable.
- All proposed subdivisions must have approved definitive plans approved by the Upton Planning Board before issuance of Water or Sewer Permits.
- It is the responsibility of the owner/developer to confirm with appropriate town officials that the lot is buildable prior to application for a water or sewer permit. Fees paid for water or sewer permits cannot be refunded due to owner/developer's failure to obtain such confirmation.
- Issuance of a permit (s) will not make the Town of Upton responsible to extend the main to the site. It is the responsibility of the owner/developer to extend the main according to the Town's standards.
- All permits will be issued on a first come, first serve basis.
- The DPW will be contacted by the owner/developer prior to the start of any work.
- All connections shall be inspected by the Town before they are backfilled. Water services shall be backfilled with clean sand to a depth at least 12" (12 inches) above the top of service line. Sewer services shall be backfilled with screened gravel (3" minus) to a depth at least 12" above the top of the service.
- The connection shall be made by contractors who are licensed and bonded in the Town of Upton.
- There will be no excavation of newly paved roads for five years except as approved by the Director of Public Works with the full cost of restoration paid for by the applicant.
- Road opening permits are required prior to any excavation of Town roads. The permit fee is $100.
- The Department of Public Works shall be contacted with any questions regarding the Town's requirements and standards.