Code Enforcement, within the Land Use and Inspectional Services Department, promotes the general health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Upton by assisting with the Code and Permitting process, working with developers and contractors in achieving their goals, and working with other Town departments for a coordinated effort. We strive to achieve these goals and contribute to the overall mission of the Town by:
- Administration of and compliance with the codes and standards adopted by the State of Massachusetts that regulate building construction.
- Administration of and compliance with the codes and standards adopted by the State of Massachusetts that regulate electrical, plumbing, gas, and mechanical codes.
- Administration of and compliance with the Town of Upton Zoning By-laws and Architectural Access Board Regulations as they relate to buildings and properties located in the Town.
- Provide information to the public in order to assist in the understanding and application of the adopted codes and by-laws.
- Insure that those individuals and companies that do business in Town meet the regulatory standards set forth in the various codes and local by-laws for the business and occupation in which they are operating.
- Participate in the preservation of historic resources as outlined in the Town By-laws and State preservation guidelines.
The Building Official is responsible for administering and enforcing the International Building Code as well as the Massachusetts State Building Code and local Town by-laws. This is done initially through the plan-checking stage and then again during the field inspection stage.