Building Permit Process
Office Hours open to the Public
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
8 am to 4 pm
8 am to 6 pm
8 am to noon
Stephen Johnson, Building Inspector conducts office hours daily between 8 am to 10 am.
Patrick Roche, Building Commissioner conducts office hours daily between 9 am to noon.
New Construction / Addition Requirements
- One copy of a Certified Plot Plan
- Disposal Works Construction Permit (Board of Health Phone: 508-529-6813)
- Driveway Permit (Department of Public Works (DPW) Phone: 508-529-3067)
- Smoke Detector Permit (Fire Department Phone: 508-529-3421)
- Conservation Commission Review Phone: 508-529-6286
- Mass check Compliance Report
- One set of Construction Plans
- House Number (Police Department Phone: 508-529-3200)
- Workers Compensation Insurance Affidavit
Once the foundation has been poured, and prior to framing, submit as built for foundation from a Qualified Engineer.
Note: Before the Building Department does any inspection; the street number of the proposed building shall be affixed in a conspicuous area identifying the lot. The number shall be a minimum of 6 inches in height.
- Checks are made payable to the Town of Upton.
- Commencement of work without the proper permits being issued will result in the doubling of permit fees.
- Permit fees are non-refundable.
All applications must be accompanied by one set of plans/drawings and a plot plan showing how many feet away from the property line the structure will be - unless the application is for repairs only.
Number of Inspections Required for Occupancy Permit
- 1st Excavation Inspection
- 2nd Footings
- 3rd Foundation and Damp proofing
- 4th Rough Plumbing and Wiring
- 5th Rough Frame
- 6th Insulation
- 7th Board (Screw) Inspection
- 8th Final Plumbing and Wiring
- 9th Fire Department
- 10th Board of Health
- 11th Final Inspection
Occupancy permits are charged at fee of $75 in addition to the permit fees.