Gold Award Project Checklist
Project Checklist for Girl Scout Gold Award Projects (PDF) on Land Managed by the Upton Land Stewardship Committee
The Upton Land Stewardship Committee (ULSC) has had the privilege to work on many projects with Girl Scout Gold Award candidates. Each one has been well executed and has enhanced the open space parcels in Upton. The accomplishments of the Scouts are greatly valued. A list of completed projects is available at this link.
This set of guidelines has been developed in order to help the ULSC track projects and keep communication open. It should also help structure the project for the scout and those cooperating on the project.
The following is to be used as a guide to help frame projects so that the ULSC has a clear idea of how a project is to proceed.
- Contact the ULSC via email to discuss a project. A Scout may either make a proposal for a specific project at a chosen or suggested site, or investigate what projects are needed to see if one of these could match an area of interest.
- Visit the proposed project site or discuss the idea with a member of the ULSC to examine the possibilities. Be prepared to meet with the ULSC to present and discuss the project.
- Follow Girl Scout guidelines for applying for a Gold Award. Submit a copy of Girl Scout Gold Award paperwork to the ULSC. Either digital or hard copies are accepted. Most important is the written project description.
- Keep a log of project progress from the discussion and planning stage to completion, it should also list hours of all participants on the project. This may be a simple chart or, if desired, may include detailed notes and photos.
- Prepare a realistic timeline with "wiggle room" built in. Note: if permitting is required as it could affect the start date.
- Should permitting or review by another entity be necessary, confer with the ULSC, as someone from the Committee should be able to assist. There may be a request to make a presentation to the Upton Board of Selectmen. This may or may not require a full presentation.
- Notify the ULSC when the project is due to start, and when it is completed.
- Before there is a sign off on the Project, a final project report must be submitted to the ULSC for review. This may be the same material that is submitted to the Girl Scouts.